Sunday, February 7, 2010

DC Snow Storm 2010




This was hands down the BEST snow storm I have EVER been in. It was amazing. We got anywhere between 28 and 36 inches of snow. Trees were falling down everywhere, power lines were down, and the snow kept on coming! I think the best part was how life here completely slowed almost to a stand still for a few days. No cars, just some snow plows, softly falling snow, and tons of people out walking in the streets. I met neighbors I never would have met. Even borrowed one of their shovels (not the brand new yellow one, though. He was out every 30 minutes shoveling with that sucker and I did NOT want to break his "good shovel"). It was exciting and b-e-autiful!


I tried to get Landon to build a tunnel
with me, but he wanted to work on the car.


I walked down the road to see the power line
that was down, and this tree limb was hanging over the
road. Not yet broken, but cracking as I was almost
going to walk under it. I decided to walk around.
A day later, it's still there. Cracking slowly
until someone's unlucky fate.


I don't think we're getting mail any time soon.



This is where the power line went down. Snow plows
couldn't get down this road. Today I saw people
with their shovels shoveling the road!


Again, the power line down on my road.
We were pretty much stuck.



There were so many people out walking and enjoying
the calm after the storm. Beautiful sunset that night, eh? This moment
really did feel so calm. Except that my hands were freezing.








One of only a small handful of snow trucks here in
the area. In Boston, all the roads would
have been clear with in an hour after the storm.




We set up a tent in the house, just in case our power went out.
It was pretty toasty in there. Here's Taylor and Landon
watching old episodes of He-Man and She-Ra. They love it.




Hmmm....


We went on a drive to the DC Temple. It's only 2 minutes
from our house.




3 comments:

Ashley said...

those are some great pictures. i love when it snows because everything is so quiet, like you said. glad you got the snow, and not us!

Elwell Family said...

You really need to frame that last photo of the temple, it is BEAUTIFUL! hey, do you know Bill Elwell? He is chris' brother and in the stake presidency there... hope you are doing well and I am kinda jealous that you got a few snow days ;) I need a moment or two to slow down right about now!

Andrea said...

I love Audra's snow outfit! So glad we don't have that much snow up here, Thom would've buried me in it! Luvs!