Monday, October 11, 2010

Sterile, Old, Military Hospital






The fourth and final has arrived. Sitting in this sterile, old, military hospital room next to my brand new baby, who is sleeping in the bassinet thingy, is quite a bit different than the Cambridge Birth Center. Yesterday when I knew I'd have to deliver this baby in un-known territory ( a hospital), I was a bit apprehensive. Why not trick Erin and just plop the baby out at home? Why not run across the street to the ocean and deliver it real hippy style (I really contemplated this one)? Needless to say and without much detail, we came to the hospital and with in an hour and a half had our new baby girl. And despite all the beeps and monitors wrapped around my belly and the thingy in my arm just in case I need fluids via IV and corpsman and nurses coming in and out and being wheeled on a bed from triage to labor and delivery to postpartum (which was actually quite fun), and having to stay 24 hours because it's protocol, despite all this...the peaceful, quiet joy that comes from giving birth and seeing your baby for the first time, in any environment, is totally incomparable to anything else in this world. I love every part of it. So as I sit in this sterile, old, military hospital next to my new born, I really don't wish to be anywhere else.









13 comments:

Jessica Tuft said...

awwww! I can't wait to see her!
Love and miss you guys!

Rachel said...

First off - you look awesome! Holy cow. Secondly - she is beautiful!! Did you decide on a name? or did I miss that? Thirdly - I think you birthing in the ocean would have been an awesome story! :)

Brooke said...

How is it that you look so beautiful, before, during and after labor... you amaze me! Just looks like you ran a mile or something. How do you do that?

Claire said...

Oh MY gosh. She is a stunning little girl, Megan. And you are a stunning mamasita.

I love your posts and your pictures and your commentary on life. Thanks for "letting" me read about your precious family. You guys are so cool!

Angi said...

Congratulations! She is so beautiful..and the dimple. Killing me. If you had birthed her in the ocean you would have had to name her Ariel. If you land on a name I'd love to know it. congratulations again you both look amazing. I hope everything else is going well.

Joanne said...

Congratulations! --Mom

Ashley said...

Woohoo! Although, where was my phone call? Seriously.

Also, love the last picture...is that spit up on your boob?

Scott and Carol Decker said...

Congrats, how is it I didn't even know about this until today. Talk to you guys soons.

Scott Carol Chloe and Safiya

Lesley said...

Congrats Megan!!! She is absolutley beautiful! You look fantastic (not surprised one bit! :)) I am happy for you guys. Hope all is going well. Looks like you are enjoying your adventure in Japan. What an adventure that must be. How fun! Take care! Darling family!

Megan R. said...

Yay Palmer Family! Congrats on your new little girl. She is adorable, just like ALL of your kiddos.
Megan - I soooooo wish you had gone across the street and had her in the ocean! I can just see it: you get in, push a few times and out she comes. Then you emerge from the ocean with her and walk across the street back to your home and no one would have even known you had just given birth because YOU LOOK AMAZING.
So happy for you guys! Can't wait to hear her name :-) And all the birth stats, too!

Annie S. said...

I love the way you update; casually putting a post about having a baby between two of your day-to-day ones! Like, no big deal, just had a baby, whatever. Congrats!!!

Molly said...

Decker!!
Cogratulations!! That is one sweet looking angel baby you have there. You are amazing! I hope y'all are having the best time in Japan!
Love you!

Marissa said...

Yay! Congratulations Palmers!!! She is beautiful
We are so excited for you and miss you too.