Saturday, January 28, 2012

Gratitude and Service

In November and December, the Team Palmer School had a lot of discussions about gratitude and service.  Mrs. Palmer had an idea.  The children would pick, out of a jar, a piece of paper with a service to do.  When they had done the service in whatever way they decided, Mrs. Palmer would write it on the paper, stick the paper in a balloon and tape it to the wall.  Any acts of service through out the day could be written down and any thing they were grateful for could be added too.   The class goal was to fill the wall with as many balloons as possible.  They filled the wall.  They popped the balloons.  They took the next few weeks reading the acts of kindness and feelings of gratitude.  Our pieces of paper became "flecks of gold" (based on this little video)  and the children looked forward to reading these before class.  If only Mrs. Palmer would have thought to take a picture before all the balloons had been popped and half of them had been taken down.  But at least she remembered in time to capture this.  It will be a tradition every year.

1 comment:

bostonshumways said...

Megan,

I like the new blog look! Maybe it's been like that for a while, I've beeen reading on my google reader.

Anyway, I want to live by you so much! Will you come to London? I'm homeschooling by default since my kids can't get into school here, but that's kind of what I wanted to happen....I've wanted to try it for a while. I just wish we could talk so I could pick your brain cause suddenly I have to get organized and make it happen. How may hours difference are we now? I'm going to try to make a phone conversation happen.

I miss you!