Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The first two weeks in Okinawa



We will have lived at the Westpac Hotel for 4 weeks by the time we move into our new home next Thursday. I would be lying if I said that everything has been sunny and happy. We've had sunny, happy moments for sure, but I find it interesting how this move has affected everyone in the family. We are all a bit off. I've tried to figure it out, but I think maybe it's the summation of the move--no home, no old friends, no schedule, sleep deprivation, no room, not having all of our stuff...Ok, I'm done complaining.

Our home is on Camp Lester--only a couple of blocks from the hospital that Erin works at. HGTV would seriously have issues with the curbside appeal of the houses here. They look like bomb shelters, which I guess is good since there are Tsunami's.

We bought a sweet ride from the dentist Erin is replacing at the hospital. It is a VAN and fully equipped with 2 moon roofs (although, Landon already broke one), second row seats that turn around and face the third row seats and curtains. Yes, curtains--and Taylor is in love with them. Oh, and only one sliding door that is NOT on the drivers side, which means I unlock and turn on the car to get AC flowin', then I race around to the other side to buckle kids, then run around again to get in. I might be buying a different van just to have a sliding door on my side...

So, some of our sunny, happy moments have included Landon and Audra's birthdays, new friends, beaches, parks, new fruit, rain storms, swimming, Japanese Market, funny tasting lettuce, Yen, driving on the wrong side of the road and a little hotel craziness.



After 14 hours of flying


View From Our Hotel Room





Jet Lag
Only jet lag will cause a 7 year old boy to take a nap



Hotel Super Heroes
(aka Landon and Taylor--if it was hard to tell by their super hero costumes)
The first few days at the Westpac were exciting and new...
the super heroes have turned to the dark side.



Landon's 7th Birthday
(All he wanted was a day at the beach. He was an angel
the entire day--it was a really good day)
Some friends brought us "just add water and cook in microwave"
cake. They loved it.


We took him to Araha Beach (aka Pirate Ship Beach)--it
took 2 minutes to drive here.



This ship is the playground at the beach. You can see Tay
walking across the rope bridge.


Attached to the ship on the other side is a sweet zip line.
All the kids had their turn. I would have, but adults
aren't allowed.





2 comments:

Annie S. said...

I like that last photo- the sign in the background says "child only".
What a fun beach!

Brooke said...

Military moves are tough... I feel ya sista.